PUA &PEUC:Increase Unemployment benefits and extension for some Californians
Starting this week, the Unemployment Administration has made some important changes that could mean an increase in unemployment check amounts for some people on Unemployment Insurance (UI), Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) or the new Pandemic Unemployment Emergency Compensation (PUEC). Additionally, for peoples who have already exhausted their unemployment benefits or will shortly exhaust their unemployment benefits we will discuss the 13-week extension that is starting this week through the PUEC. If you like this video please do not forget to like and subscribe to our channel.
Pandemic Unemployment Assistance – Weekly Benefit increase
Unemployment will change how benefits are calculated for PUA benefits
Pandemic Unemployment Assistance is (PUA) is part of the CARES act
· PUA is for people who normally are not eligible for Unemployment Benefits:
– Gig workers
– Independent contractors
– People who have exhausted their normal state unemployment benefits
· Unknown how much self-employed people actually make.
· Minimum PUA weekly benefit is $167
· Now they are going to review your reported income for 2019 and adjust weekly benefit up to $450 weekly.
· $167 weekly benefits are based on $17368 income or below
· Maximum amount of income to get the $450 is $46696 or above
· Money is retroactive back to when PUA claim started
· Separate from the $600 PUA payment that will be for months between March 29th through July 25
What is changing and new PUEC update
· Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)
· Third part of the Cares Act:
· Stimulus checks
· PUA – Pandemic Unemployment Assistance
· PUEC – Pandemic Unemployment Emergency Compensation
· Regular Unemployment benefits run out after 26 weeks within one-year timer frame
· PUEC allows for a 13-week extension for those who exhausted their unemployment benefits or were previously ineligible.
· 2 phase roll out
§ Starting May 27th this week
§ EDD will automatically file PUEC extension for those who exhausted all available benefits on their original unemployment claim.
§ Recipients will receive a notice 5- 7 days after PUEC extension
§ Will receive a letter to certify for the extension of benefit payments if still unemployed
· Early July, EDD will mail notices to those who ran out of regular UI benefits who ran out of benefits after July 2018 but were not included in the phase 1 group
· These individuals who remain out of work should re apply for Ui through UI
Is this a good idea
· Great news for California who need the extra support
· California is taking extra precautions to ensure that everybody is safe
· Going to be on lockdown in California than most of the rest of the country
· Going to take a long time to get everybody getting back to work even after lockdown is over
· The real question is how long is it going to take to get back to where we were
Thank you so much for watching, if you have questions about your Medicare or Medicare health plan options please feel free to contact us and we can make a new post or video to cover your questions. We here at California know health insurance weather it is private health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid / Medi-Cal, Medigap or health insurance for your small business. It can be very confusing coming from your work insurance and trying to look at options on the private market or turning 65 and trying to figure out which Medicare option is best for you. That is exactly what we can do, we can walk you through your options and help you find the plans that fits your needs and your budget.
#Unemployment #PUA #EDD